Our History

Proud History of Educational Excellence

St. Mildred’s-Lightbourn School has a proud history of educational excellence for girls and young women.  From day one, the school was a pioneer in women's education, delivering a well-rounded curriculum of rigorous academic studies, global citizenship, competitive sport, healthy active living and community service. The tradition of inspiring and empowering women continues to be the hallmark of St. Mildred's-Lightbourn School today.

Our Foundation is Our Strength

The support and commitment of our school community has been one of our school's greatest strengths for more than a century and continues to foster the success of SMLS and our students.
SMLS is an Anglican-based school that welcomes students from every faith, fostering diversity and inclusivity within our school community. In 1891, the Sisters of the Church, an Anglican community of women founded by Mother Emily Ayckbowm, opened a day school in Toronto. The school became St. Mildred’s College in September 1908. 

In 1923, Miss Ruth Lightbourn began teaching the daughters of Oakville residents in the sitting room of her parents’ home. Her enterprise grew into The Lightbourn School. In 1969, the two schools merged under the administration of the Sisters of the Church. In 1986 the Sisters turned the school over to a permanent Board of Governors. And here we are, more than 130 years later, with St. Mildred’s-Lightbourn School still thriving!